About the Meeting | Meetinghouse | Historical Archive | Traveling Friend | Contact
Us | CFM Home
About the Meetinghouse
The meetinghouse on Keller Road is the fifth official site of the Cincinnati Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends. The building was designed by David Briggs Maxfield and built in 1963. Money for the construction of the new meeting house came from the sale of the old meeting house on Eden Avenue (see link to map below ), as well as a concerted fundraising effort among members which, dramatically, led to several unfruitful IRS investigations because their donations rose so suddenly— what sacrifices we make for our community!
NEW -- Check out photos of the construction of the Keller Road Meetinghouse in the Historical Archive!
Interior of the Meetinghouse
Our pews, lectern, and flower stands were crafted by the Art Woodworking Company, who adapted bench plans taken from the Stout Meeting House on the Earlham College campus. The antique benches in the left-hand corner of the Meeting Room came from the 1840 meeting house of the Cincinnati Friends. The walls were originally painted Phoebe Grey, in keeping with the Quaker tradition of humility in adornment; the architect considered this shade to be most representative of Quakerism to him.
- 1811 ~ Cincinnati Friends begin meeting for worship in their homes
- 1813 ~ Christopher Anthony (d. 10/20/1815), a “minister with credentials,” arrives from the Goose Creek Monthly Meeting in Virginia and organizes a centralized Cincinnati Meeting. That summer they buy a lot on Fifth Street with a log house for their first meetinghouse.
- 1815 ~ Cincinnati Monthly Meeting is formally instituted on March 16 after a visit by Miami Quarterly Meeting representatives.
- 1828 ~ A difficult schism forms between Orthodox Friends and Hicksite Friends (followers of Elias Hicks).
- 1840 ~ A second meetinghouse is built on the same lot to accommodate the split.
- 1868 ~ Friends sell the old property and build a single new meetinghouse at Eighth and Mound streets.
- 1930 ~ The Meeting moves to Eden Avenue in Corryville, dedicated June 29.
- 1963 ~ Friends sell the Corryville property and construct the present meetinghouse in Indian Hill, dedicated January 12.
See a map of the historical locations of Cincinnati Friends meetinghouses at communitywalk.com.
- Karen Campbell, “Quaker Genealogy in Southeast Ohio: Cincinnati Monthly Meeting (Hamilton County).” http://qugenswohio.blogspot.com/2005/10/cincinnati-monthly-meeting-hamilton.html
- Kiphart, Thomas J. One Hundred Fifty Years of Cincinnati Monthly Meeting of Friends, 1815-1965. Available in the Meeting library, CN: 270 KI
- Porter, Virgil & Ruby; Virgil R. Porter, “History of the Furnishings and Building of the Cincinnati Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends,” The Traveling Friend, April 2002. (Available in the Meeting library.)
- Porter, Virgil R. “Cincinnati Monthly Meeting,” Wilmington Yearly Meeting 1891-1991: One Hundred Years of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers) in Southwest Ohio and Eastern Tennessee, pp. 63. (Available in the Meeting library.)